Tech jobs are not limited to Silicon Valley. Edmonton is seeing a shift as tech is growing and thriving in our local community. With startups and new companies popping up across the city, new job opportunities have followed suit. There are many reasons to consider starting a career in tech: as of 2016, Edmonton had over 7,000 tech sector jobs. The skillsets are varied, and it is an ever-changing and evolving industry.
To get you started, here are 5 reasons why we think tech is worth focusing your education on.
- Tech is one of the fastest growing sectors in Edmonton growing at a rate of 20% each year for the past seven years. That’s a lot of new job opportunities!
- Each of Edmonton’s six post-secondary institutions has research and innovation centres to help develop and grow our tech sectors. You have choices!
- Edmonton is home to some pretty savvy tech companies, including Jobber, Drivewyze, Granify, Yardstick, Intuit, BioWare, Investopedia, Compuvision and more. You can work for company’s creating services & products you are passionate about or don’t even exist yet!
- Edmonton is a global leader in AI, Health and Life Sciences, and Big Data, winning the Gold Prize in the Open City Category of the WeGo Smart Sustainable City Awards. Your work could be recognized locally and on a global scale!
- By 2038, tech will be worth $12-trillion.
So how do you prepare for a career in tech?
Local facilities such as the Edmonton Public Library Makerspace provides the public with access to a variety of technology such as 3D printers, VR headsets, and more. For students looking into post-secondary options and are interested in working in the tech sector, there are a variety of courses and classes, from design to development to communications. We’ve compiled a list of potential jobs and schools that can prepare you for those roles.
Marketing & Communications